Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Oilcloth lunch bags

So after searching the internet for things to make with oilcloth, I found a lunch bag tute on Martha Stewart's blog.  After trying it out, I was happy with the design. The shape was ok but the 'fold it over' to close, just wasn't good enough.  So I tinkered around with some ideas and made a flap that could have velcro applied, for a good way to secure your lunch inside.

 I really like the contrasting sides and front.  This is my lunch bag, which is quite large, ready for a growing girl's appetite! The one at the top is a small snack bag, you put in your handbag, for a quick trip out.
You get the idea from this shot, the size differences.
At first a was a little worried about sewing it, but my Janome powered through and did not stick on the oilcloth.  I did use a 'leather' needle, however and made certain to sew onto the wrong side of the cloth.
Now that I'm not as daunted by using oilcloth, I might try a couple of other projects as well.
We'll see how much time and inclination I have.

1 comment :

  1. Toni, these are gorgeous! Love the fabric combination you have used. I've never seen oilcloth - can you bring it along this weekend for me to see please? Tan

    ReplyDelete